Monday, December 29, 2008

Tweet tweet

So I've become a Twittaddict (oo-err, fortunately I picked up the absent 'w' before publishing, having just watched an episde of American Dad where Dad and Steve bathe in the popularity of their new, ample and perfectly formed breasts - Freudian, perhaps).

Twitter, hey? Really, it's just another way of living vicariously through people more famous and talented, and allowing people less famous and talented to be fascinated by your own mundane adventures. It is the perfect e-stalking tool. I have discovered very few people I know on there - it is far different to social networking sites like Facebook, which allows you to narrate your life to your friends. This is more like tapping into global communities and meeting like-minded strangers. Among my discoveries: comic writers and artists including Warren Ellis and Neil Gaiman, and a posse mostly based in Kansas City, it would seem, with a few really interesting parallel blogs to boot. The perfect comics consumerism aide.

I must say, it seems that Australian users are further behind in Twitter than we are in the economic downturn. I'm curious to see what 2009 holds for both locally, as an umemployed Twitter addict.

No comments: