Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Dog gone...

I've been doing some research into dog breeds - since the recent loss of my boyfriend's dog (and my boyfriend; I'm not sure which I miss more) I have decided I could really go a new best buddy like Bogart. Not sure if I am quite ready for one as yet, but will document my discoveries here.

The best breed selection test I have found so far is at the Discovery Channel's Animal Planet website. Whilst not an Australian site, and therefore missing some of our more popular breeds, their Dog Breed Selector rates and calculates the 55 breeds that might suit you best based on your lifestyle. Another couple of tests that provide a less thorough evaluation are Selectapet with a similar questionaire here.

Animal Planet have matched me first with the Harrier, a close but less demanding relative of the Beagle. It seems they are rather more popular in the UK than in Australia or the US, unfortunately - a perfect but unrealistic option.



The cocker spaniel frequently shows its face - it seems to be a bit of an all-rounder, but I fear that Bogart's absence might be the causal influence here. In any case I already have my eye on George (and Boomer and Barney) and still love Bogart and his loyal, romping, fun-loving, shoe-devouring and swimming ways. No doubt a winner.



But another relatively new breed in Australia is the Portuguese Water Dog. They've been in the country not much more than 10 years - by now there are a couple of breeders, and they fetch quite a lot of money. They don't shed, don't exacerbate allergies, are prettier than poodles and a whole lot of fun. I want one!

No comments: